Author Topic: Magnetix MG -45CS OKUMA Reel  (Read 1105 times)

Offline terenceroyatkins

• Prawns 0
  • terry
Magnetix MG -45CS OKUMA Reel
« on: May 04, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »
Hi guys
I am new to this game and need your help.I bought an Okuma Magnetix MG -45cs reel because I was told that you could not get over runs when casting,but every time I get over runs. The guy said that as soon as the sinker hits the water the reel will stop but it dose not stop.How do I set the magnetic cast control system because I had set it on all the positions and still get over runs.Please help.
Thanks you
Terry

Offline vvt_freak

• Jr. Fisherman
  • Prawns 1
Re: Magnetix MG -45CS OKUMA Reel
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 05:14:56 PM »
some more info would be greatly appreciated. i am seriously considering getting the same reel in about 2 months time. all the reviews i've seen have been good.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Offline trdkid

• Sr. Fishermen
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 05:32:02 PM »
I seen some adds too but what do they normally price?
You don't have to "WALK THE WALK" or "TALK THE TALK" you gotta "WORK THE WORK"

Offline vvt_freak

• Jr. Fisherman
  • Prawns 1

dux

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 05:42:57 PM »
Hi Terence
I am assuming that the salesperson wasn't talking sh!t and that the braking system does work. I am pretty sure that the mag brakes (and centrifugal + electronic) all do work to different degrees of success, however they are made to keep the spool spinning speed in line with the speed of the sinker (+bait) as its travelling towards its destination. I think I can assume that the problem might be with your expectations of the reels ability. Let me explain - all the braking systems can slow down the spool speed - the idea being that the spool doesn't "push" out more line than what the sinker needs to keep going forward. All the reels though (in my experience) are unable to know when the sinker (+bait) actually hits the water, and thats where your problem might be originating. My Shimano Torium 14 has a great little centrifugal braking system that I have set in to my usual casting weight. I can take that reel and throw as hard as I like and it will not overwind while the sinker is travelling. What does need to be done though is - as the sinker hits the water press your thumb onto the spool to stop it. Don't dab, press firmly and that should stop any overwind occurring.

If the overwind is occurring before the sinker hits the water, then you might need to play with the braking systems settings. I'm not familiar with the reel but, a web page on it I found states that, it is adjustable. Perhaps set it to the max (most braking) setting and start working your way down from there?
Maybe someone else can discuss further?

Offline trdkid

• Sr. Fishermen
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »
Not bad.Saw 2 at Beespens on Thursday...I didn't see any scratching or overwinds coming from them...must be really good then...
You don't have to "WALK THE WALK" or "TALK THE TALK" you gotta "WORK THE WORK"

Offline imie

• Gillie
  • Prawns 0
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 08:00:51 PM »
hi ive got the :thumbsup: ms 45cs magsystem great reels though on the left side of the reel is a setting which controls your mag turn it to the off  setting .when ur cast it will control your spool when the the sinker hits the water place your finger on the spool.if u feel u not getting enough distance set your settings higher until u feel comfortable with your casting .Remember the magsystem is only there to CONTROL overwinds not prevent it .When u reel in try to reel in your line as stiff as possible this will help in overwinds.HOPE THIS INFO HELPS

IMIE

Offline Rodbuilder

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 27
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 10:34:35 PM »
Dux and Imie is correct, the mag control is only to prevent overwinds during the cast, but you still have to stop the reel yourself when the sinker hits the water. The advantage of magnetic cast control is that you can adjust it instantly to suit conditions, a strong head wind will need a higher setting and a tail wind a lower setting, the same goes for bait sizes, the larger the bait the more brakes you need. Start off on the highest setting and work your way down.
Born to Fish. Forced to Work.

Offline terenceroyatkins

• Prawns 0
  • terry
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 02:33:03 PM »
Hi Guys
I would like to thank Dux,Imie and Rodbuilder for their advise you have been a great help.
Keep up the great work guys.
Thanks you
Terence

Offline Walt

• Fisherman
  • Prawns 4
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 03:02:24 PM »
Hi Terence.I've got G/Wave - also with braking system.On my specs that i got with reel,it explained how to use brakeing system and tune it in.Hold rod as you would be fishing with hook and sinker reeled up as close to tip as possible.Release lever you'd release normally for casting and allow sinker to hit tarmac or similar hard surface.if it overruns on reel tighten the adjustment.Repeat until there's no overruns.If this doesn't work,perhaps brakes need to be set and re-installed properly as some reels have these in but not operative.I use this as a guide but still adjust and loosen accordingly from there.Also,depends on sinker weight.Used a 4oz sinker one day with no overruns and lost sinker later.On putting new sinker on had continuous overruns.Discovered on weighing sinker,it was closer to 3oz even though I bought it as 4oz.Have you got the right size line on as stipulated?Are you using right size tip and sinker to match?I've made mention all of these things as I've learned that they do impact on whether you get that perfect cast or an overrun.Congrats on new reel.Cheers!