Author Topic: Paarl Mountain - Bethel and Nantes dams are full  (Read 532 times)

dux

Paarl Mountain - Bethel and Nantes dams are full
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:12:27 PM »
On Sunday I took the woman up Paarl Mtn for a picnic, and went to check out the dams. They are looking good at the moment, very full, nice and clear water, some structures for hiding etc. Also quite a few fingerlings in the water - was unable to successfully identify the smaller ones as they were too far away, but I did see some 150mm bass swimming around. Usually if there are smaller ones then the big fish are around.

The road up the mountain is in its usual poor state although the road up opposite KWV is much better than the Northern Paarl side. You didn't need a 4times4 to get in or to the dams - but a more rugged vehicle is recommended if you want to explore the other roads in the reserve.

The yearly fishing permit costs I think R33, and for the two of us to enter in the vehicle was R32.50 for the day. In summer months the gates open at 7am and close 7pm. Apart from the occasional car/bakkie driving past it was magnificient up there - no noise just nature.

Offline Visvinger

• Go BIG or go HOME
  • Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 9
  • S.A.P.S. WP 533 / SA5502
Re: Paarl Mountain - Bethel and Nantes dams are full
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »
Great! Thanks for the info Dux. So when are we going to chuck a fly at some unsuspecting bass / trout??
André
only dead fish follow the stream
Reels: Sl50SHK; Torium 30; Fin-nor 30; SL30SH; Speedmaster 4; TLD 20/40S; Abu Garcia Cardinal 106; Policansky 2B
Rods: Exage 110H; L&F Sharkey; Purglass /3.5; Penn 14' graphite; Shimano Vengeance 8ft 3oz

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us