Author Topic: Please read this before you post  (Read 6745 times)

Offline Sparky

• Sea Dog
  • Prawns 34
Re: Please read this before you post
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 02:24:13 PM »
Choknel is/was accused of also being JanF on sealine, a 15 year old youngster.

thanx for the clarification boet
go BIG !!! or go HOME !!!

Offline chocknel

• Gillie
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
Up to this point in time I have not had one negative comment in real live situations although I have had legitamate inquieries like" How stable is she" or " How does she steer" I will then answer as truthfully as possible. I,m looking forward to this site

Actually that was my first thought - have you ever capsized - this seems to happen frequently with Kayaks - and how do you righten up with the weight of the motor  ???
[/quote] Very legitemate question, I will make a point of answering it very thoroughly, Yes I did manage to flip her. It happened in Gordansbay harbour and I was very close to the launching site so I did not make an effort to "Up" her. What happened was I build my first transom with the motor sitting very deep, in other words the propelor was as low down in the water as possible. I took her out on the sea a couple of times and it never felt as if I had any balancing problems, then I took her out on the berg rivier in Veldrift and I kept on digging the prop into the mud. On getting home I decided to raise the engine by  200mm for the sole purpose of not running into mud. That was the worst thing I could have done, the centre of gravity moved completely and the very next time I took her to sea I flipped her very easely I immediately lowered the engine and added an extra "stabilazing Fin" above the propelor. Have a close look at the pick with the 2hp suzuki motor and You will see the "stabilizing Fin" This made a huge improvement on the stabilaty of the kayak. to such an extend that she is more stable now than without a motor, the reason is simple, that fin acts as an brake in the water and dampens any sideway movement (sudden sideway movement is what flips a kayak)considerably and that is what You want because flipping a kayak is something that happens very fast and that fin gives you time to correct. She is so stable at this point in time that I can actually turn sideways and let my lower legs hang in the water and turn back to normal and she has no problems. Because The weight of the engine  (8,5kg)is very close to the center of gravity I dont think that Uprighting her will be an major issue although I cannot state that categorically as I havent tried doing it simply because I havent flipped her again. Flipping her was a major concern with me,thats why I build an second transom with an pontoon. As stated I have build this kayak for my own needs I intend doing most of my fishing in Hangklip and I dont intend going to sea in bad weather, So the transom without the pontoon (2hp motor) will be used in rivers,dams and very flat water (which  you do get from time to time in places like Hangklip.) The transom with the pontoon and the 3.5 hp motor will be used on the sea. especially if I want to carry my crayfish nets, or the water is not perfectly flat. If the slightest chance exists of the water turning bad, The 3.5 hp motor gives me enough speed to get out should the weather turn foul quickly.and with the pontoon she is so stable I can stand straight up on her,. I also dont intend using this kayak more than one mile from the shore. I always have a full body wetsuit plus a SABS live jacket on when I hit the water. I know what the limatations of my kayak is and I dont intend doing anything more with my kayak than the next guy on a unmotorized kayak will do safely. MOST INPORTANT I DONT WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN ANY ARGUMENTS CONCERNING MY KAYAK, ITS DESIGHNED TO SUIT MY SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS AND THAT IS THAT. I will axcept any advice with the intend given of making my kayak more safe but thats it, no arguments please gentleman   :First: :First: :First:
My "Speelgoed" a motorized Kayak

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Offline hndray

• Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 27
  • Able Seaman Just Nuisance
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 06:09:33 PM »
Sounds good - you have obviously worked through all your teething problems and solved them.  :well_done1:
If it works for you  :good job:
"ILLEGAL ALIENS have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian."   -   Robert Orben

Offline chocknel

• Gillie
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »
Working through my teething problems is the understatement of the Year Ouboet, since november last year I when I started with my first attemp namely a battery tralling motor up to now I have tried six engines, three transoms, R15000 easely (never kept book but its more than that cause I will find a motor on gumtree, buy it, try it, find I,m not happy, sell it for less than I bought it so I can buy the next gumtree special) I have spend easely 300hrs labour. I have been on the water countless times namely to do sea trials, At this point in time I can say I have her 95% sorted, There will always be room for improvement although I dont think it will be major. I have actually tried to flip her last weekend by doing very sharp hi speed turns, rocking the boat while displacing my weight (107kg) from side to side as fast as I can. :fishing boot: She performed very well. I do not profes that my kayak is the beginning and end of all seacraft insofar as safety is concerened but I can make the following statement. I have managed the risk factor in her stabilaty quite well and I have convidence in her. As my experiance with her grows, so will my handling abilaties. One thing is a fact She really is a pleasure to handle and I,m perfectly willing to allow any person with the basic skills to take her for a test. I,m also willing to assist anybody (free of charge) who wants to go the same route

Offline Sparky

• Sea Dog
  • Prawns 34
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
Up to this point in time I have not had one negative comment in real live situations although I have had legitamate inquieries like" How stable is she" or " How does she steer" I will then answer as truthfully as possible. I,m looking forward to this site

Actually that was my first thought - have you ever capsized - this seems to happen frequently with Kayaks - and how do you righten up with the weight of the motor  ???
Very legitemate question, I will make a point of answering it very thoroughly, Yes I did manage to flip her. It happened in Gordansbay harbour and I was very close to the launching site so I did not make an effort to "Up" her. What happened was I build my first transom with the motor sitting very deep, in other words the propelor was as low down in the water as possible. I took her out on the sea a couple of times and it never felt as if I had any balancing problems, then I took her out on the berg rivier in Veldrift and I kept on digging the prop into the mud. On getting home I decided to raise the engine by  200mm for the sole purpose of not running into mud. That was the worst thing I could have done, the centre of gravity moved completely and the very next time I took her to sea I flipped her very easely I immediately lowered the engine and added an extra "stabilazing Fin" above the propelor. Have a close look at the pick with the 2hp suzuki motor and You will see the "stabilizing Fin" This made a huge improvement on the stabilaty of the kayak. to such an extend that she is more stable now than without a motor, the reason is simple, that fin acts as an brake in the water and dampens any sideway movement (sudden sideway movement is what flips a kayak)considerably and that is what You want because flipping a kayak is something that happens very fast and that fin gives you time to correct. She is so stable at this point in time that I can actually turn sideways and let my lower legs hang in the water and turn back to normal and she has no problems. Because The weight of the engine  (8,5kg)is very close to the center of gravity I dont think that Uprighting her will be an major issue although I cannot state that categorically as I havent tried doing it simply because I havent flipped her again. Flipping her was a major concern with me,thats why I build an second transom with an pontoon. As stated I have build this kayak for my own needs I intend doing most of my fishing in Hangklip and I dont intend going to sea in bad weather, So the transom without the pontoon (2hp motor) will be used in rivers,dams and very flat water (which  you do get from time to time in places like Hangklip.) The transom with the pontoon and the 3.5 hp motor will be used on the sea. especially if I want to carry my crayfish nets, or the water is not perfectly flat. If the slightest chance exists of the water turning bad, The 3.5 hp motor gives me enough speed to get out should the weather turn foul quickly.and with the pontoon she is so stable I can stand straight up on her,. I also dont intend using this kayak more than one mile from the shore. I always have a full body wetsuit plus a SABS live jacket on when I hit the water. I know what the limatations of my kayak is and I dont intend doing anything more with my kayak than the next guy on a unmotorized kayak will do safely. MOST INPORTANT I DONT WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN ANY ARGUMENTS CONCERNING MY KAYAK, ITS DESIGHNED TO SUIT MY SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS AND THAT IS THAT. I will axcept any advice with the intend given of making my kayak more safe but thats it, no arguments please gentleman   :First: :First: :First:
[/quote]

I doubt very much you will pick up any hassles as long as you are open minded and are prepared to accept some queries and critism
go BIG !!! or go HOME !!!

Offline Kosi Fisher

• Sea Dog
  • Prawns 21
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 09:00:57 PM »
and how do you righten up with the weight of the motor  ??

Actually, I think it's quite a simple solution. In the same fashion as yachts use them, design a weighted keel or dagger board like the smaller yachts use. That way, when the kayak starts righting itself the weighted keel will continue the momentum and keep it upright.

@Choknel....I admire your persistence in getting this "boat" right for your own purposes. It's not everyone who would even contemplate a project of this sorts, let alone pump the capital into it that you have to ensure that it works.   Respect...
Every Monday it's the same...can't wait for that next Vas Pappa feeling at the weekend...{sigh}...

Offline hndray

• Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 27
  • Able Seaman Just Nuisance
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 12:27:48 AM »
@ Chocknel do you have any pictures of the Kayak in the water - I would love to see how see rides especially with you on it under way?

thanks
"ILLEGAL ALIENS have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian."   -   Robert Orben

Offline chocknel

• Gillie
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 06:31:31 PM »
@ Chocknel do you have any pictures of the Kayak in the water - I would love to see how see rides especially with you on it under way?

thanks This was taken when I asked another oke to compare top speeds, You will notice that I,m still too much "nose up" in this pic, I sorted that just after taking this pic, she is running a lot "flatter" had to do with the engine trim. I dont really understand this engine trim story and if a slim oke out there can advice I will be very happy

Offline chocknel

• Gillie
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »
 :oops: wrong photo, thats the woman-o-matic, for those who dont know a woman-o-matic is an extremely versatile tool, can be used for a million and one things and will work whole day on 2 x wheetbics biscuits, (Glad my girlfriend does not belong to this forum she will kill me :argue1: