Author Topic: GUP ON THE COALS  (Read 8384 times)

Offline hndray

• Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 27
  • Able Seaman Just Nuisance
GUP ON THE COALS
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »
GUP ON THE COALS

Allow the coals to die down to a medium heat. Place the grid at a point where the heat is too hot to hold your hand for more than a second and arrange well-rinsed Gup on it with the ““Brooch or trapdoors”” facing upward. Allow to stew in their own juices for about 20 minutes, until the flesh can be pulled out of the shell and the ““Brooch or trapdoors”” removed. Lift the flesh from the shells - the ideal tool used to be the old hatpin  :what: but in the absence of this old defender of the ladies virtue  :clap: any long pointed thin spike, needle or pin will suffice! . Cut away the vicera and discard it. Slice the flesh and serve with Lemon garlic butter.

:well_done1:
"ILLEGAL ALIENS have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian."   -   Robert Orben

Offline hndray

• Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 27
Re: GUP ON THE COALS
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
So SoLLy as the chinee man say!

Gup is the colloquial name for ALIKREUKEL and if you use them as bait I will take up shark fishing and personally slide you for a great big pigmentally challenged top predator of the deep here in Simon's Bay
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:47:01 PM by hndray »
"ILLEGAL ALIENS have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian."   -   Robert Orben

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Offline Mario

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 14
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »
Don't forget once cooked slice into vinegar and chilli infusion with pickled onions, yumm. OHoh mouth's watering better go home now.

Tightlines for the weekend all

Offline hndray

• Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 27
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
Mario ou Maat!

Nou praat jy! GUP pickles. The perfect accompaniment to any man's beverage of relaxation!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:50:26 PM by hndray »

Offline Sparky

• Sea Dog
  • Prawns 34
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:30:12 PM »
ai so na an n man se hart
go BIG !!! or go HOME !!!

Offline Mario

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 14
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »
Nou moet ek vra, wie kook?

Offline flippy

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 5
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 07:08:15 PM »
howzit hyndray

must get my buddy's recipe for gups,i think he first cooked it to soften and then placed in a jar with vinegar and chillies and after about a week he started chowing,it tasted good like this and first time i tasted it,cant remember exactly all details but i yhink this about covers it

tight lines
Your fish very shiny,too much BLING BLING!

Offline hndray

• Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 27
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »
Yup Mario & Flippy,

First steam the Gup - if it's still in the shell it takes a bit longer. I learnt from an old Wes Kus Boer to break the flesh out of the shell before cooking - I use a hammer or the handle of my old diving knife - he used to just throw them against the rocks to break the shell!

I like to use apple cider vinegar or if using the normal spirit vinegar I add a handfull of brown sugar with the chili's - I prefer the most potent available - my mother gave me a few plants which produce a small round dark red chili that is dynamite - I think it's called a "dog's bum" - it really is a triple burner - on the way in  :cross: , through  :swear: and really burns like hell on the way out - takes your mind off the hangover  :blue_wtf: !

Finally a good dose of ground black pepper makes the whole concoction really interesting.    :woo_hoo:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 07:43:37 PM by hndray »

Offline Mario

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 14
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 07:51:20 PM »
hndray, you're being very rude by reminding me of the recipe, lol. Apple cider's the best with chillis.

Reminds me about stuffing fresh cubes of perlemoen into a freshly harvested kelp stalk, before burying in the coals on the beach, aargh the aromas and tastes of Perly in white sauce, chilli gup and Amstel while waiting for the perly to cook.

Offline hndray

• Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 27
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 08:07:05 PM »
Ja Nee!

Those beach feasts used to be something to write home about - back in the seventies I used to drive up to a girlfriends family in Mossel Bay. We used to stop off at Vlees Baai a little distance this side of our destination and dive for oysters.

My diving buddy was a plumber and had a couple of those old-fashioned galvanised buckets in his bakkie - we would fill those buckets with oysters while the girls watched the bottles of wine cool in the shallows. Then the feast began - oysters straight out of the sea - a few drops of Tabasco sauce - helped down by swallows of cool fruit of the vine! that set you up for the "OP SIT KERSIE" I tell you!
   :Winner: 

The lunch of fresh PERLY didn't hold us back either so the evenings got quite interesting - what with the fresh sea air an' all an' all......

:rofl_colored:              :rofl_colored:              :rofl_colored:

Offline Mario

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 14
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 08:11:05 PM »
Those were the days, if only more people would stand up to the poachers, am sure we can have our "seekosse" back

Offline rofflign

• Sr. Fishermen
  • Prawns 12
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 11:49:53 PM »
you guys are making me hungry! :dinnertime: I love allekrik, used to boil them in a pot till they come loose them rip off the derm pop in vinagar and dip in salt... plain and simple, or minced with perly into a lekker curry, dished up on a bed of rice......konings kos. as a youngster we used to collect them in knee deep water in the rock pools to the left of blakes.

Offline Mario

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 14
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 06:33:39 AM »
perlemoen frikadel, Dave stop it, lol

Offline Kosi Fisher

• Sea Dog
  • Prawns 21
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 03:41:10 PM »
At a camping outing a couple of months ago, one of our party minced up a bunch of alikreukel, added some flour and onion to bind the flesh, shaped them into frikkadelle and then fried them on a hot stainless steel plate over the campfire.

After the munchies I had from half a bottle of Capn's Organ and coke, they were the best damn thing I'd ever tasted...
Every Monday it's the same...can't wait for that next Vas Pappa feeling at the weekend...{sigh}...

Offline Mario

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 14
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »
That's it, can one of the mods please delete this thread due to the pain and suffering it's causing to some of us stuck at work. None of the Seafood deli's at the V&A Waterfront stock these products, so let's be humane about it pleeease!!!!!!

Offline hndray

• Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 27
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:27 PM »
As a youngster I remember times being fairly tough financially for our family - my father never was a journeyman / artisan and despite working long hours of overtime never really made much money at his unqualified rate.

I joined a skin-diving club called AQUANAUTS run mainly by BOB SMITH who owned SMITHY'S lawnmower repairs and cutlers under the Wynberg bridge just down from what is now Maynard Mall. He generously assisted me in getting kitted out and used to supply transport on a Sunday morning for us to get out to the Cape Point Reserve to dive. I used to try to maximise my catch, scrounging for everything from alikreukel, octopus, kreef, perly, even large limpets to contribute to the weeks stock in the fridge. So despite existing on a shoestring we ate what is now the richest of meals.

Mom used to invent all sorts of dishes and we ate seafood concoctions of every conceivable kind. When she discovered pita bread - introduced by an family friend of Italian origin, she really did us proud. She used to make all sorts of salsa's and fresh salads (fresh fruit and vegatables were cheaper than cans and any sort of prepacks) and we ate pita bread filled with all the seafoods I brought home.

Which leads me to the offering of minced Alikreukel in Pita Bread with salsa and chopped salads and plain yogurt (we found that one small jar went a long way a teaspoon at a time - even then she had a breeder jar for the joghurt and made her own). I must admit that in the absence of Pita she was no slouch and substituted Vetkoek or Pannekoek and even Rooti's.

I still long for those meals we enjoyed in those stricken times! When I eventually graduated to spearfishing our larder was enormously improved as I soon became the terror of anything of edible size that swam in front of me - "Mea Culpe - Mea Culpe - Mea Maxime Culpe!"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:17:55 PM by hndray »

Offline John

• Fisherman
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 10:41:25 AM »
ek ontdek elke dag meer interessante dinge op die site. Lekker om deel te wees hiervan.
Hndray, die lewe was darem net lekker in daardie tye. Wens ons kan weer daar wees.