Author Topic: Secret Elf trace's  (Read 8716 times)

Offline AashiqH

• Fisherman
  • Prawns 5
  • always looking for the next catch...
Secret Elf trace's
« on: March 17, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »
I thought I will share a few hook trace set-ups for catching that elusive Elf, ranging from the normal skollies to the bigger draa’rer…all of these have been proven to work…and no, im not taking any credit for it…cos its not something I invented…but picked up & was shown from a group of “wise fisherman” I have the honour of fishing with (who used spark plugs as sinkers and believe upto today that the Penn500 jigmaster is the best thing since sliced bread)…and attaining skills that no book or any forum can teach you…
PS. feel free to add or rectify anything…

There are a few hook set-ups for elf I use…

When finding yourself in a situation, where there is Elf in the water…and not having a steel trace…you might be able to land them as is…a lot would depend on how you strike the fish and reel it in…but what if you have that bigger Elf on…and he bites you off…?? Keep some cotton ear buds in your tackle box…they come in handy…you can use your normal line as is, just cut the cotton bud either side and slide it over your line as shown in the pic…a plan can be made to stop the ear bud sliding up and down…this works well…the teeth of the Elf just slides of the plastic…protecting your line… try it out and see…

Another option, when I was at a place not so long ago…there were Elf in the water and didn’t have a steel trace with me…I used 1mm thick line for my hook trace (which I found lying between the rocks)…used a perfection loop to secure it to the eye…the Uni-knot is a bit difficult to tie with thicker line and comes apart easily…and it worked wonders…
076 055 1464

Offline overrun

• Fisherman
  • Prawns 5
Re: Secret Elf trace's
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »
latsa info there, Have a prawnt for that one boet
Very informative

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Offline AashiqH

• Fisherman
  • Prawns 5
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 12:18:45 PM »
As promised, Waynew…this one is for you…hope you go back there and get that Elf this time…
There’s a saying, a (crafty) fisherman never blames his tools…
With steel traces, the hook clip is very weak…and when hooking into a big Elf can only take so much strain…try this…
cut off the hook clip, open up the eye of the hook with a sharp nose pliers…put in the steel trace…and close the eye again…that’s it…done. You shouldn’t have problems with hook clips breaking…

if they biting off the actual steel trace…cut off the bottom loop and add the ear bud…now comes the tricky part…you can use a crouching tool and some items (wont say what) easily obtainable from a hardware…and put the loop back & secure it…which can be put through the eye…and closed up…

In this way you don’t have to worry about the clip breaking & the Elf can’t bite off your steel trace with the ear bud protecting your line…

Waynew…go get that Elf now and post the pics…
076 055 1464

Offline snack

• Sr. Fishermen
  • Prawns 3
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »
thanks for the tips.  I normally carry a small spool of bleeding wire or light steel with me.

Offline therado

• Jr. Fisherman
  • Prawns 1
  • I am "BLANK" man!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »
thanks for the post Aashiqh, i've recently adopted a different method of using those clips, i just want to know in your experience.
if u pick up a good size fish will that clip hold it?

also the second post was a bit confusing. why do u have to open the eye of the hook?

sorry if i'm being ignorant here   :crazymazy:

Offline AashiqH

• Fisherman
  • Prawns 5
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »
in the second post on the left is the normal steel trace with clip...on the right, the modified one...the picture says it all...go home & try it...you will see what i mean when i say "...open the eye of the hook..."
076 055 1464

Offline Steenbras

• Fisherman
  • Prawns 2
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
@AaashiqH - can believe the earbud works, but try replacing them with valve tubing used for bicycle valves (older type I think).  works in exactly the same manner and the sizingis probably the same as that of the eardbud. 
the rubber tubing is
1. very difficult to bite thru (yet to see an elf cut you off)
2. due to elastic nature can side over the eye of the hook (optional) to prevent it sliding up the hook snoot
3. is flexible and won't stiffen the bait, thus more realistic movement. 

most hardware stores and even Shoprite sell them in packs of 3or5.

Offline fabba

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 11
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »
@AaashiqH - can believe the earbud works, but try replacing them with valve tubing used for bicycle valves (older type I think).  works in exactly the same manner and the sizingis probably the same as that of the eardbud. 
the rubber tubing is
2. due to elastic nature can side over the eye of the hook (optional) to prevent it sliding up the hook snoot

I also use the valve tubing and place a "skelm hook" on top of it.Use the type with the bended eye.Had a session last year whereby i caught 2 Elfs on one trace,using this method.  :secrets telling:
"One day when we are too old to fish,we going to regret the time we wasted..not fishing"

Offline overrun

• Fisherman
  • Prawns 5
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »
the rubber tubing is

I also use the valve tubing and place a "skelm hook" on top of it.Use the type with the bended eye.Had a session last year whereby i caught 2 Elfs on one trace,using this method.  :secrets telling:

with a trailer hoe does one need to valve rubber thingies? just rying to picture it now if the el goes for the trail ent of the bait which is followed by leader, wouldnt one get biten off? i guess if there is a float added the elf wont be able to bite through then?.....

Offline waynew

• Administrator
  • Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 6
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
As promised, Waynew…this one is for you…hope you go back there and get that Elf this time…
With steel traces, the hook clip is very weak…and when hooking into a big Elf can only take so much strain…try this…
cut off the hook clip, open up the eye of the hook with a sharp nose pliers…put in the steel trace…and close the eye again…that’s it…done. You shouldn’t have problems with hook clips breaking…

if they biting off the actual steel trace…cut off the bottom loop and add the ear bud…now comes the tricky part…you can use a crouching tool and some items (wont say what) easily obtainable from a hardware…and put the loop back & secure it…which can be put through the eye…and closed up…

In this way you don’t have to worry about the clip breaking & the Elf can’t bite off your steel trace with the ear bud protecting your line…

ha....thanks dude. but i think the monster that bit me off was like daisy's  elf size :)

now i use snoek line! ha

Offline AashiqH

• Fisherman
  • Prawns 5
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »
yep...snoek line is another one i tried...would love to see a Elf bite that off...you never know until you try!
076 055 1464

Offline clinton

• Sr. Fishermen
  • Prawns 4
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
I've always used 3/0 or 4/0 for elf and have not been dissapointed (when fish about) but read in a little "How To" booky even up to 6/0? What? Really anyone? Comments (will scratch for that tonight)! Probably dependant on hook construction as well? The oldies I go out with believe in one hook; one design for a specific species. I've even had my trace cut off by a friendly oomie (part of our group) that did not agree with my terminal trace. Very funny!

Elf hooks gents? Kalk Bay winter months still productive for elf? It was a few years ago!!!

Cool!
Do the things that memories are made of!

Offline waynew

• Administrator
  • Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 6
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »
I've always used 3/0 or 4/0 for elf and have not been dissapointed (when fish about) but read in a little "How To" booky even up to 6/0? What? Really anyone? Comments (will scratch for that tonight)! Probably dependant on hook construction as well? The oldies I go out with believe in one hook; one design for a specific species. I've even had my trace cut off by a friendly oomie (part of our group) that did not agree with my terminal trace. Very funny!

Elf hooks gents? Kalk Bay winter months still productive for elf? It was a few years ago!!!

Cool!

i use 5/0 or 6/0 when i go to langebaan by the line.

for the smaller elf like at melkbaai i use a ........ 2/0 :) works very well there.

Offline GRUMPY

• Gillie
  • Prawns 0
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
Its not neccessary to open the eye of the hook , all you do is take your loop on your steel trace ( where you have cut off your clip ) and push it through the eye of the hook ,then you take the point of the hook and push it through the loop you then pull the loop up the shank of the hook towards the eye and away you go , hope I am making sense to everybody

Offline Totalnoob

• Gillie
  • Prawns 0
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »
Nice info thanks!

Offline manymaniyaa

• Prawns 0
Re: Gear Knob
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 05:43:38 PM »
cut off the hook clip, open up the eye of the hook with a sharp nose pliers…put in the steel trace…and close the eye again…that’s it…done. You shouldn’t have problems with hook clips breaking… PhenQ | https://phenq-reviews.comacc

All of the mark are not obvious due to the fiction you can put those in error line

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 05:44:28 PM by manymaniyaa »