Author Topic: Langebaan Freugently asked questions.  (Read 11941 times)

Offline Daisy

• Sr. Fishermen
  • Prawns 42
Langebaan Freugently asked questions.
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:14:29 PM »
Please note this is only my view and your own way might produce much better results,but I suppose I get these questions more than most,so thought I can just as well share my view with all.These refer to Langebaan only.
*When will Steenbras feed and what`s the trick?
Answ.A good time of the year is September to December.Use a good 2,0 hook.Make very sure that the type of sinker used stays where you put it.Hook line must not exceed 30cm,the bait has to stay at the bottom.Fish will only be found in small holes with sandy bottom close to prawn banks.Bloodworm is by far the best,but at times a string of prawn also works.Keep the rod in hand.Make sure there is no strain at the initial pick up,or the bait will be spit out.Best fishing time  is late afternoon or very early morning.

*When baiting pilchard,which part of it works best?
Answ.Most of the fish that goes for this type of bait,hunts on smell.Bait must be fresh and it must be fairly large.A fillet works well as this gives good smell and the flip side gives a shine.But a full pilchard also works well.Elf will take the tail,Kob and Geelbek prefer the stomach,while yellow tail prefer the head.

*Is Pike a better bait than Pilchard in the lagoon?
Answ.No it is not.Pilchard is known by our fish and has enough smell and oil,,,so does a steentjie,but a fillet of Stump is too dry.However Pike has plenty oil in it and it does attract fish,but I prefer pilchard...fresh pilchard.

*Is it true that when there is Gunnard,one can expect Kob?
Answ.No there is no correlation...all that happens is that both species prefer discolored waters.

*Does Kob prefer discolored waters and why?
In lagoons where there are rivers flowing into the sea,Kob would prefer the darker river water that meets the sea at outgoing and incoming tide,but at the Baan we don`t have a river.So kob will feed when there is little sun so they feel safe.In clear water they do not feel safe and will hide.The best time is when the tide comes in.In terms of Elf,they feed with outgoing tide just before tide turns and go quiet when the Kob then moves in.

*Will Kob spit a steel trace out?
Answ.You are better off without a steel trace,but the Elf will bite your line off before Kob moves in.So as an all rounder,use steel trace when there is Elf around.Make sure the steel trace does not show.

*Is a float required for Elf?
Answ.No not really.The lagoon is on average 4 meter deep and with the strong current and a long trace,the bait is well in view of Elf.Also a light sinker should be used just to keep the bait out of reach of sea gulls.

*When fishing for Yellow tail,must the sinker be a heavy one?
Answ.No ,as light as possible and as these are mainly caught from boats,let the line out to about 100 meters..make sure the head is on .

*I want to return female Stumps,but how can I tell which is female?
Answ.Male Stumps have black spots under it`s chin,while females are perfectly white.It`s a good idea to return all females.

*Does Stumps migrate or are they always in the lagoon?
Answ.It is still a mystery.

*How do I stop the bleeding when hurt by a fish,especially the sharp bones of a Gunnard?
Answ.Pull it`s eye out and put the gel on the wound.

*Will the fish survive when released?
Answ.Most certainly,but do not touch it with your bare hands.Use a wet rag.

*What is the best way to reel in an Elf?
Answ.Keep the line tight at all times and reel as fast as you can.Elf will make a tail walk above the water...an old trick they learn t as the moment there is a slack in the line,they will get a change to bite it off or get the hook out of it`s mouth.

*How will a Kob take the bait?
Answ.Kob will give two small bites and the start "cleaning" the bait carefully.Therefor,count to 10 and only then strike.Keep the line tight,but ensure that the drag is not too tight.Never try to lift the fish,especially into a boat.You will loose it.

*Which hook type is the best?
Answ.Stay away from stainless hooks as this will not rust away if you loose the fish.Many use fresh water hooks as they tend to be thinner and sharper.Circle hooks work well,but it takes the fun of a strike away as with those you just should reel in.

*Is water temperature very important in the lagoon?
Answ.Oh yes absolutely!Stumps prefer water that`s fairly cold,like 15 deg and are sensitive for warm water above 17 deg.Elf cannot handle temperature changes.It prefers 17 deg and a constant temperature.Geelbek and Kob also likes warmer water,but water must be milky/discolored.

There are still many more questions they ask me,but I don`t want to bore you too much with my "wisdom"...LOL...like to get our view as well.....

Age is only a number!

Offline Repsol

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 5
Re: Langebaan Freugently asked questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 03:05:24 PM »
Just my opinion, but I think the steamers in the lagoon have a preference for yellow line............lol

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Offline waynew

• Administrator
  • Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 6
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 03:18:15 PM »
Thanks Daisy

I was wondering why some stumps have white under chin and others spots. Just learnt something new!

Offline Daisy

• Sr. Fishermen
  • Prawns 42
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »
Just my opinion, but I think the steamers in the lagoon have a preference for yellow line............lol
What have you been drinking Gavin?Yellow line nogals...don``t you understand and do you never learn?I`ll say it one more time...please note this time:
Yellow line for Geelbek and Yellow tail.
Red Line for Red Roman
Silver line for Kob
Green line for fresh water fish.
Braid if you cannot think like a fish.
Got it now???
You and your yellow and red line...get Kingfisher Tournament 10kg man...all you need...LOL
Age is only a number!

Offline Repsol

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 5
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 03:33:32 PM »
All I can say is the steamer took my yellow line...............oh....... maybe he just liked the way I put my prawn on, sorry oom I get it now........lol..... :party1:

Offline noob

• Jr. Fisherman
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
Nice info!

Offline joker

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 7
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 03:45:02 PM »
Thank you Oom Daisy. Maybe this season I`ll drive all the way to the `baan just to blank... :flag:
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Daisy

• Sr. Fishermen
  • Prawns 42
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 04:11:19 PM »
Joker you`re a Joker,but I`ll cancel those words...did you not know that what you speak will happen...no I declare that it will be your best fishing season ever!!!Sommer lots of it and big sizes also...
Age is only a number!

Offline joker

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 7
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 10:52:53 AM »
Joker you`re a Joker,but I`ll cancel those words...did you not know that what you speak will happen...no I declare that it will be your best fishing season ever!!!Sommer lots of it and big sizes also...

That's something i like to hear. I'm going to keep those words close to heart.
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.  ~Author Unknown

Offline theoldgoat

• Fish On!
  • Fisherman
  • Prawns 2
  • Gotta catch something soon!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
 :fishing boot: Hi all, please can someone inform me where the best place to pump for prawn is in langebaan & what is the amount we can pump on low tide per person?

Offline joker

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 7
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 12:04:47 PM »
:fishing boot: Hi all, please can someone inform me where the best place to pump for prawn is in langebaan & what is the amount we can pump on low tide per person?

The location is not known to me too. 50 is the limit per person per day. Not that you can have 50 of the previous day and 50 fresh ones in your possession though.

Offline The 1

• Master Fisherman
  • Prawns 11
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 12:28:23 PM »
You pump prawn in Langebaan at the prawn Islands. I am not too sure what the roads names are but as you drive past the navy centre you will get to the yacht club on the right hand side. Here is where you make a left turn. Carry on with this road until you get to a four way stop. Now turn right and follow this road until you get a dirt (gravel) road on your right. Turn here and you will be able to see how the guys are pumping prawn at the bottom.
Max prawn to have in your posession is 50. Hope it helps.

Thanks Oom for such great info. I cant agree more with most of the info shared. The baan is one of my favourite spots as well. Always take care of the place guys.
With regards to excellence, its not enough to know, but we must try to have and use it

Offline Dr.Pinkfly

• Sr. Fishermen
  • Prawns 4
  • aka Driaan
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 12:40:29 PM »
at palletjies, lots of big goons :Winner: if your willing to get wet
We ride together, we die together!! Badboys for life!!

Offline pr0t0c0l

• Sr. Fishermen
  • Prawns 3
  • Lets go fishing
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 01:31:42 AM »

Driver to the end of Lagoon Crescent and park your car somewhere there. Then wade out to the white buoys and pump there. Lots of prawn :)

Thanks for the info Oom! I do hope I can get some nice fish this season in the baan.
Copyright

All rights reserved

Offline Manie

• Gillie
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 09:54:13 AM »
Very informative
Return your undersize fish!!!!

Offline Saliegh

• Fisherman
  • Prawns 2
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »
i get sand prawn all the time..where can i go for the mud prawn?i always go to that spot by the gravel road as was explained above, but where can i go to get mud-prawn?
Fishing is not just someting I do, its part of who I am

Offline DHurter

• Prawns 0
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 08:04:26 AM »
Hi Guys

Can you tell where I need to go to get a launching permit for Langebaan and Port Owen?

Thanks

Offline Tierfontein

• Gillie
  • Prawns 0
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 08:42:04 AM »
Tell me does that rubber worm that bait shops sell work in the lagoon.
Also can any blood worm be used in the lagoon no matter where you
dug it out or pumped it from ,east coast or cape point .

Offline just enough

• Prawns 0
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 08:56:30 PM »
Hello guys, new to this forum. I have read a lot on the forum about fishing the lagoon.
My holiday destination was annualy at witsand just after the apr school holidays, this year being 2nd half of apr I think its getting to late. Being from Piketberg I was thinking of langebaan, reading good reports for late apr.
can anyone please advise me on what to expect and target /strategy / bait during the 2nd half of apr, I read in a link that it's the best time for cob?

Any advise will be much appreciated

Thank you

Offline Snarfish

• Gillie
  • Prawns 0
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »
Hi, thanks for all the great info.

I would like to bring my two children up to Langebaan this weekend. They are 5 and 6 years old. Where would you suggest I take them where it is both safe and where they would still have a good chance to catch a fish to show their mom?

Also, if you have some suggestions for bait etc. Please let me know.

Cheers
F