Author Topic: Sea Lice as bait  (Read 3949 times)

Offline hndray

• Grand Mariner
  • Prawns 27
  • Able Seaman Just Nuisance
Sea Lice as bait
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
Mole Crabs

Mole Crabs, commonly known as sea lice mainly occur in Northern Kwazulu-Natal and there are strict regulations that control their capture. They are caught during low tide on a flat stretch of beach. Wait for a wave to roll back and then look for V shapes in the sand. These are the marks of the sea lice burrowing into the sand. Run to the marking and with both hands collect a handful of the sand. Close your hand around it and place the sand into a bucket. Then check if you caught him.

Sea lice will live for some time in sea water, but they are most effective when alive. They are excellent bait for species such as a Pompano, which feed close inshore near sandy beaches.

Please Help - are these the same as the "Sea Lice" that hop around on our sandy shores where you find decomposing sea weed? I am told by the elderly fishermen in my family that they used to use them as bait and that they can be as effective as prawns!

Has anyone tried them yet?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:47:04 PM by hndray »
"ILLEGAL ALIENS have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian."   -   Robert Orben

Offline Kosi Fisher

• Sea Dog
  • Prawns 21
    • My Personal Blog
Re: Sea Lice as bait
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »
@Hndray...as your posting says, they occur mainly in KZN waters and, I believe, down towards the southern part of the eastern cape (warmer waters). i don't believe they will occur in our colder waters this side of Agulhas (I have never seen them anyway).

I have used them a few times when fishing in KZN and they work like a bomb, the same as our bloodworm does for steenies. They're best when they are carrying the eggs under their tails, similar to how crayfish carry their "berries".
Every Monday it's the same...can't wait for that next Vas Pappa feeling at the weekend...{sigh}...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Offline MeglaDon

• Gillie
  • Prawns 0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »

Apparently the lice that jump around on the washed-up kelp works for Steenbras.Never tried it myself though.

Offline New-ling

• If you aint fishing, you aint living
  • Gillie
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
My dad use to catch Roman And hottie with them back in the days.The can also be found between the rock in houtbay.
Fear No One. Regret nothing

Offline yellowtail 2

• Gillie
  • Prawns 1
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:27:38 AM »
iv seen similar or the same at bettys bay. i havent had a closer look and also seen them mainly at night.